Thursday, July 3, 2014

Using Words with Collage

It's been a while since my last post and I wanted to display two new collages that were made during this last semester using collage and words.  The first one is obviously political in nature and close to my belief system when it comes to civil rights.  We see Uncle Sam pointing to the flag and with the motto "liberty and justice for all" beneath.  The illustration however is taken from an flyer that advertised the sale of slaves during the 19th. century.  Irony is the context.


The second collage is a fictional account.  I had an old postcard of hikers perhaps during the turn of the century.  One of the women was removed and her presence is still there only ghostlike.  It then occurred to me to use words to compose a letter to her husband explaining her long absence.  I used various materials including lace to give it an "old" quality.  I even dyed the paper and burnt the edges of the note to add authenticity.

No comments:

Post a Comment